Sunday, December 6, 2009

When was the last time you used a card catalog?

Me and Sandra (finally) made it over to Enoch Pratt Library. I'm impressed at the amount of stuff they had there, they even had the records of fires from 1904. However, I must admit that after all the hype I expected the Maryland room to be much bigger than it was.

I used the card catalog yesterday and I found some good statistics on deaths from the flu in 1918 in MD and Baltimore. Oddly enough the flu pandemic was not the biggest killer in Baltimore, pneumonia was. I haven't analysed the evidence yet to determine if they're related.

Today Sandra & I went back to the library and used the microfilm of old Sun newspapers to find more information. She was obviously more prepared than I, because she knew exactly where to look. I just looked over months (and the month before & after) when the deaths where highest. Unfortunately the hot topic of the news in 1918 was the end of the first world war. I was able to find some good information, but nothing nearly as good as the health information from the day before.

I'll scan in all of my papers I printed tomorrow, and I'll post some of the pictures online tomorrow night.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Scott, for your determination.I think everyone should work in pairs:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Working in a pair is a lot better than working alone, especially in a library!

    ReplyDelete