Thursday, December 3, 2009

"During that particular time, it was just popular to have the flu."

We were encouraged to find a person to interview, if possible, for research. Being that my project is based on events that happened in 1918, I don’t know anyone who was alive, much less from Baltimore from then. However, I was inspired after another student uploaded his interviews to Youtube. I thought that maybe someone else may of done the work for me, I could some interviews of the Spanish Flu of 1918 from historians, doctors, and survivors, and/or and maybe I’d find a snippet or two of something concerning the flu of 1918. What luck! Not only did I find two very different, fantastic videos about the effects of the Flu in Baltimore, one of them even has Andre Braugher (Homicide) doing interviews. The first video is “Standing in the Safety Zone” presented by The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, which is based in Baltimore (if you’re wondering, to be in the “safety zone” you must get a flu shot). This video hopes to persuade the public, particularly the elderly, to get their annual flu shot by interviewing survivors of the 1918 epidemic. The other video, “Hospitals ‘Full-Up’: Remembering the 1918 Flu Epidemic”, was created by Johns Hopkins Center for Civilian Biodefense Studies. This video asks if current medial centers are prepaired for a biological attack by examining the effects of the 1918 flu. “Full-up” doesn’t mention it much in the video, but most, if not all of the newspapers they posted as sources are from The Baltimore Sun. I came across most of them in The Enoch Pratt Library’s sun archive when I was gathering research documents.

Both videos make one thing clear, 1918 wasn't that long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNP9KwFMU6Y (embedding was disabled for this video)

No comments:

Post a Comment